Difference between NO and NOT
NotWe use not after be, do or have to make a sentence negative.
- It is not raining.
- I do not like fish.
- I have not finished my work.
- We have not got a television.
- I can't go.
- You mustn't be late.
- Not surprisingly, he was found guilty.
- There is not a cat outside the door.
- This is not the right way.
- ‘Is there any coffee left?’ ‘Not much.’
- Not many people have heard the news.
- There is not any reason to doubt his story.
- ‘Does the city tour run all year round?’ ‘Not in winter’
- Do you know the truth or not?
- Believe it or not, they're getting married.
- Are you coming with me or not?
- ‘Is there enough room for me?’ ‘I’m afraid not.’
NoWe use no to give negative answers.
- ‘Do you have a client named John?’ ‘No.'
- There's no wine left.
- We have no time to lose.
- There are no newspapers left in the shop.
- There are not any newspapers left in the shop.
We use no to say that something is not allowed.
- No smoking!
- No Entry!