1. Out of the blue
- His resignation announcement came out of the blue.
2. Paint the town red
Meaning: to enjoy yourself by going to bars, clubs, etc.
- We decided to go out and paint the town red.
3. Have a green thumb
Meaning: to be good at making plants grow
- Peter can make anything grow. He really has a green thumb.
4. In the red
Meaning: in debt
- At this time of year, the company is usually in the red.
5. With flying colours
Meaning: If you pass a test with flying colours, you do it very successfully.
- In total, 7 students passed with flying colours.
Meaning: A blue-collar job is work that involves using physical strength or skill with the hands.
A white-collar job is work that does not involve physical effort and usually takes place in an office or a bank.
- Blue-collar workers often work long hours in heavy industries.
- Too many people are training for white-collar jobs. They think the office environment is safe and pleasant.
7. Black out
Meaning: If you black out, you lose consciousness suddenly for a short time
- I have been known to black out at the sight of blood.